Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Outsiders



Hinton, S. E.. The Outsiders. New York: Viking Press, 1967.

Plot: Ponyboy, the unfortunately named protagonist, lives in the rough, gang-ridden city with the help of his two older brothers. However, the rivalry between the poor Greasers and rich Socs eventually lashes out at Ponyboy and Johnny, a fellow gang member. To save Ponyboy, Johnny kills a Soc, leading both boys to run away under the guidance of Dally, a prison-hardened friend. The boys manage to evade the police, but become unintentional heroes. Yet, heroism cannot erase their actions or society. Before the end of the novel, three boys are dead. However, their deaths cause unexpected inspiration. A revolution of hope may grow despite tragedy.

Genre: Adventure, Society, Crime

Reading Level: Ages 10-13

Similar Titles: I Am the Messenger, Begging for Change

Personal Thoughts: I think I liked this book as a kid. The diction, while slightly dated, fitted the story, while the characters seemed believable. The despair of a gang situation drips through the pages, allowing the reader to experience the hopelessness and longing of the protagonists. After class, I mentioned to my professor that I had no idea how I would survive this lifestyle. She said I probably would never enter it to begin with. This brief interaction remained etched into my memory for some unknown reason, but, after reading the novel as an adult, it raises a serious concern. As a student, the novel seemed little other than a lament against a hopeless situation. Yet, the novel's climax focuses on the hope that such situations can change by sharing this story and the many like it. As a kid, the entire point of the novel evaded me. Instead of being inspired, I just stayed stuck in the despair. I missed what the author was trying to convey. What was obvious as an adult was hidden as a child, so the novel failed to accomplish its goal to inspire change. Also, I seriously wonder what the students who did not speak to the professor gained from the novel. Did they find the message that evaded me? Or did they get as lost as I did in the depressing aspects of the story?

No comments:

Post a Comment