Friday, October 1, 2010

Eyewitness Books: Elephants

Redmond, Ian. Eyewitness Books: Elephants. New York: Dorling Kindersley, 2000.

Plot: The book reviews elephants using the stark white background and variety of illustrations the Eyewitness Books are famous for. Elephants' history with humanity as gods, beasts of burden, and trophies. It also reviews the natural history of elephants, dedicating entire pages to the skeleton, trunk, teeth, and tusks. Conservation efforts and successes are discussed as well.

Reading Level: Ages 9-12

Genre: Non-Fiction, Animals

Similar Titles: Elephants: True Books, Face to Face with Elephants

Personal Thoughts: I loved this series when I was younger. Actually, I remember reading this on the floor of one of my best friend's bedroom (granted, I read the first edition 1993 version...and I could recognize where they made changes in the 2000 edition...I am both a biology and literary nerd...will you still be my friend?). Anyway, nostalgia aside, the illustrations and information still contain the appeal I witnessed as a tween. The comments are brief, but focus on genuinely biological concepts, such as scientific names, species identification, adaptations, and conservation issues. The series provides a good introduction to complex scientific concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment