Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Totally Joe

Howe, James. Totally Joe. New York : Atheneum Books for Young Readers, ©2005.

Plot: For a school project, Joe has to write an autobiography from A-Z. His project focuses on the challenges, humorous and otherwise, facing a middle school student. Middle school is a harsh place, particularly for a gay student. He also discovers how to respond to peers, teachers, family, and adults.

Genre: Gays & Lesbians,  Realistic, Fiction

Reading Level: 12-13

Similar Titles: None I can think of; I need to read more.

Personal thoughts: Howe has come a long way in his writing. He identifies most of Joe's project as "ammunition" for middle schoolers, a sad but very true fact at this age. I was pretty surprised by how much I liked this book. Usually, I avoid realistic fiction, since it tends to either be depressing or sugar-coated. Howe manages to avoid both through a balance of humor and emotion.

1 comment: